 

    |
Information courtesy of The
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, 1977
House, No. 16, formerly All Saints' Vicarage, was built
towards the end of the 15th century. It is now of two storeys throughout but
originally had an open hall, class 1a. The walls are of coursed rubble. The
rear wing and most internal fittings date from the late 19th century but the
medieval priest's house survives substantially.
The front elevation has two-light mullioned windows of
17th century style but mostly of early 19th century date; their disposition may
be compared with that shown by Stukeley in 1735. The hall in the East half was
previously lit by two tall two-light windows with pointed heads, transoms and
labels.
These have been replaced by square windows with
terracotta labels on two floors. The doorway with depressed four-centered head,
moulded jambs, square hood mould and sunk spandrels, remains as shown by
Stukeley; a jamb stone is inscribed "IH 1695"
|
The doorway is
probably late medieval; it preserves the position of the original entrance but
appears to be later than the hall windows shown by Stukeley. Upper windows in
the two west bays are apparently as shown by Stukeley, but the lower window
replaces one with a single light.
|
|
| The rear wall is now
featureless, but a plan of 1814 (deeds) shows at the west end, where the
present wall is thin and rebuilt; a rectangular projection which may have been
an early stair turret. Internally, the former open hall now has an inserted
upper floor of the 17th century. |
Next Page

|